Kathleen LoSapio gifted me with some beautiful Anaheim peppers and I transformed them into a spicy relish that is delicious stirred into beans or to top anything that could benefit from a little spice.
The recipe is super easy, but the trick to crisp vegetables is to soak them in salted ice water overnight.
- Slice peppers and add chopped onion in proportion to the amount of peppers you have.
- Add garlic that has been sliced in half.
- Soak in salted ice water overnight.
- Drain and pack in sterile jars.
Prepare the brine:
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1-1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tsp pickling spice
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
Add the brine to the packed jars.